25 September, 2011

for a change

I am born and brought up in a middle class indian conservative family. I will take the liberty in describing each word of my existence as stated in the first sentence. Born: Being born is never a choice, so we completely skip that point. middle class: I have been very much content with my middle class standard of living until recently when i came across a news headline which read: "if you can spend Rs. 32/- per day, you cannot be poor". This made me very uncomfortable and now i have a phobia of my riches.


Indian: I am Proud to be an Indian, not because of the recent news but generally. Generally, because for me patriotism is best described by Abraham Lincoln's famous lines: "I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him". And this makes my pride a very general one.


Conservative: The dictionary meaning of conservative is "Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change". Following any tradition has never been a problem for me as there are no values left in them. The second part of the definition is something that bothers me. It is never easy for anyone to accept change. No matter how good it is, there is a lot of convincing required to accept it. Just yesterday, an auto rickshaw driver had to do just the same to make me  accept change.


Change is categorized as either a good change or a bad change. In daily life, we continuously strive to bring the good change and make things easy. There are a few good changes i make time and again. Change in pace, to catch up with my own life. A change in eating and drinking habits, to keep my paunch in. And most importantly to change the subject and save myself from embarrassing situations.


On the other hand, we inadvertently go through bad change all the time. And this also makes life easy... trust me it does. I have scores of events to prove it, but i am sure you will never reach the end of this post if i list them down. And also to save yourself from my laziness tales, just trust me !!


I do not intend to preach anything or should i say, to bring change in anyone's life but there are a few changes that i am quite incisive about. Firstly to change with time, for obvious reasons. To change place with someone, to understand what the other person is going through. And finally to be always ready for a change of heart, so that i can forgive often. So that i can love more knowing that it will hurt more than before. And when it becomes difficult for me to accept change, i remember the phrase: "there is nothing permanent except change".

2 comments:

Sujatha Sathya said...

a sentence leading to a post!
good post,
very nicely elaborated

Saquib Kazi said...

thanks so much Sujatha !!